- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 small can crushed pineapple (strained)
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- one 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9” round layer pans, or one 9” x 13” pan.
- Beat together the oil, sugar, salt, eggs and spices. Mix the flour with the baking soda, and stir in. Add the carrots, raisins, coconut and crushed pineapple and mix until just blended. Pour into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake the cake(s) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Allow the cake(s) to cool completely before frosting. If you’re using round layer pans, remove the layers from the pans after about 15 minutes, and place them on a rack to cool.
- To make the frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the salt and vanilla. Beat in the sugar. Add a teaspoon of milk or cream if the frosting is too stiff to spread; add additional sugar if it’s too thin.
- Frost the sheet cake right in the pan. For the layers, frost the top of one layer, top with the second layer and frost the top and sides of the cake.