Quinoa is a grain that is considered a “super food” because it has more protein than most other grains. According to an article on Huffington Post, there are many other bonuses to eating quinoa. Supposedly the saponins from the grain are used to promote healing of skin injuries in South America because it is a good antiseptic, according to the article. It is also a good grain for those who are watching their weight because it is a complex carbohydrate with a low glycemic index. Since quinoa doesn’t have much flavor on its own, the feta, scallions, mint and parsley give this dish a lot of flavor. This delicious and nutritious dish is also naturally gluten-free.
You can find this recipe at: foodnetwork.com
-1 cup quinoa
-1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts (5 scallions)
-1 cup chopped mint leaves (2 bunches)
-1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
-1 cucumber, unpeeled and diced
-2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
-2 cups feta cheese
-2 teaspoons salt
-1 teaspoon pepper
1) Pour 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan, add the quinoa and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
2) Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, until the grains are tender.
3) Drain if there is excess water, place in a bowl and immediately add the lemon juice and olive oil
4) In a large bowl, combine the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Add the quinoa and mix well.
5) Add in the feta and taste to see if extra seasonings are needed.
6) Serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.