Georgie Gentile

Equinox Staff

Hello and welcome to the second issue of this advice column! I’m Georgie Gentile and I am a sophomore at Keene State College majoring in film production and English writing, as well as minoring in German. If you have a question that you want me to answer, you can email it to

Because a new season is in the air (it’s finally fall!), I am going to answer questions relevant to the new school year and settling  into the semester.

Q: What can I do when I’m bored on campus?

A: Easy! Go off campus. That may sound pretty obvious but it’s surprising what there is to do in Keene. The simplest thing to do is go downtown and do a few laps around the shops. There’s a bunch of restaurants downtown so you can easily grab something to eat while you window-shop. There’s a couple of boutiques as well as a bike store, flower shop, two tattoo shops, two candy shops, two coffee shops (Keene likes to have things in double), a Cumberland Farms and loads more. If you don’t want to risk emptying your pockets, you can walk or ride the bike trails around Keene, too. For less than ten dollars, you can go to Keene Ice and ice skate all day and, in the winter, you can ski and snowboard at Granite Gorge.

Q: Is there a way to get resources on campus?

A: If you are having difficulty obtaining food for your dorm, The Hungry Owl can help you out. Located in Randall Hall, the Hungry Owl is KSC’s very own food pantry where you can anonymously pick up food. If you are interested in donating to the Hungry Owl, there is a donation shelf near the main entrance of Elliot. If you are in need of supplies, the Reuse Room is the place to go. Located in the basement of Joslin (there is an entrance on the side of the building, across from the Commons), the Reuse Room has a variety of supplies to help you out—binders, folders, bowls, plates, even alarm clocks and printers. It is really convenient to get something quick for a class, especially if I need a folder for a writing portfolio.

Q: What do I do if I get hurt?

A: If you get injured on campus and feel like you need to get treated, you can stop by the Wellness Center on the third floor of Elliot during its open hours. If the Center is closed or the open hours have ended for the day, you can go to Urgent Care, right across from Walmart. If you feel like you need serious medical attention, you can go to the Cheshire Medical Center or Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene, both in Keene. If you are unable to walk to these locations (Convenient MD Urgent Care is the most convenient location to walk to), you can call campus security. They will be able to drive you to and from these locations.

Q: Can I switch majors?

A: Yep! If you are unsatisfied with the major you originally chose to pursue, you can go to Academic and Career Advising in the first floor of Elliot. There you can pick up a “Declaration of Degree and Major” form and begin the process. You will need to obtain multiple signatures and then return it to the Registrar’s Office, but after that you are all set. I recommend making an appointment with your advisor before starting this process. Switching majors can be difficult due to the course requirements.

I hope you enjoyed my advice. See you next week!

Georgie Gentile can be

contacted at